Thursday, March 01, 2007

A Lenten Programme.

Last night was the commencement of our parish's Lenten programme.

Gerry ( dh) and I attended the programme last year . We went out for coffee and talk after each session last Lent and then shared information from the programme with the children at home.

This year, we are attending with son Jonathon, so no "date time" - but we are still hoping to share our reflections with the children.

Each week, one of the Brothers from the Conventual Franscicans, leads us in prayer and then reading and discussion/reflection on the forthcoming Sunday Gospel.

There is a theme to each session ~ last night the theme was Finding Christ in prayer.

Br. mentioned that many times we talk and talk to God - but we don't stop to pause, think, listen.

I know the listening part is hard for me. As is discernment - I think, is this really God's will or my own inclination?

During the quiet reflection, I was able to think about listening, about finding time to be still and about how discernment works.

I think that the hour spent at the Lenten programme each week will be of spiritual benefit ~ for me, for Gerry, for Jonathon and for the other boys.

If your parish holds such a Lenten journey, I encourage you to attend even one session. To journey with others during Lent has proven helpful for me.

No comments: