Saturday, January 13, 2007

St Anthony of the Desert and Memory

Having learned that we should always be praying, even when we are by ourselves, St. Anthony prayed without ceasing. Indeed, he was so attentive when Scripture was read that nothing escaped him and because he retained all he heard, his memory served him in place of books.
-St. Athanasius

I read this quote at Katherine's blog.


We are reading about St Anthony of the Desert this month (see my bulletin board post. ).

This quote reminds me of the deliciously irreverent play "The Importance of Being Earnest" by Oscar Wilde.

Miss Prism, a tutor, tells her charge Cecily that "Memory , my dear Cecily, is the diary we all carry about with us."

Love this play.

Sadly, if memory is my diary, then we are all lost!

4 comments:

Ladybug Mommy Maria said...

I like your post.

I'm really going to ponder the reflection about St. Anthony!

Leonie said...

Hey, I'm wondering how I can improve my memory!

Anonymous said...

LOL
You are not alone, dear friend. ;)

Leonie said...

I heard learning another langage can help - but am I disciplined enough??? And with enough time?