Monday, January 29, 2007

Excellence in Education.



Last night, Anthony (youngest son) and I had a discussion on education and excellence.

We were cleaning up together after visitors.

Some of our conversation with our visitors had been on educational excellence.

While cleaning the kitchen , Anthony mentioned his thoughts. To his mind, the most important goals in education were to "have a love for learning and to know the basics."

If by basics Anthony means the tools of learning, then I am right there with him.


The Lost Tools of Learning by Dorothy Sayers.


Sometimes, Anthony reminds me of Calvin from Calvin and Hobbes - he says the most amazing things!

9 comments:

Luke said...

Lol, very Anthony - I can imagine him saying that. :)

Leonie said...

Yes - very Calvin!

Ladybug Mommy Maria said...

Gotta love Calvin!

What a perceptive young man Anthony is!

Leonie said...

We all love Calvin - Anthony learned to read on some of Calvin and Hobbes ( and Snoopy/Charlie Brown and Ladybird readers and the Civilization computer game) ;-)

Cindy said...

Tell me how old Anny is now?
Great perspective. Often, too, when kids say wise things... it is not un-attached from what they have been modeled by their parents.. :)

Leonie said...

:-)Anny is 10 ( or wait, did he turn 11 - I am bad at ages!).

Anonymous said...

I like Annie's perspective on this!Wise little man. When I come across those very organised and consistant homeschoolers whose children have stuck to a glorious classicul curriculum, I comfort myself with the thought that amongst the gaping holes and gaps in our homeschooling are the lovely gems of wisdom nestled in an intact love of learning!

You wrote earlier about unschooling within a framework of parentally (lovingly) imposed 'havetos'. I am most comfortable with this, it feels both natural and responsible!

I would love to be a fly on the wall with some of these discussions in your household.

Hi Cindy!!!!
God Bless
Shannon

Leonie said...

Hi Shannon, so cool to hear from you. I like you comment about gaps and wisdom and love for learning...

Anonymous said...

Hey Shannon!

What's up with you? I miss you!

Cindy